One of the most popular casino games is Roulette. In every casino, both land-based and online, you will find some roulette tables. Whether you want to play roulette in a land-based casino or if you want to play it online, thanks to our game explanation and strategy you will be well-prepared at the roulette table.
What are the roulette rules?
Roulette is a fairly simple game. The tip for most casino games is knowing the game rules first, but you can do little wrong with online roulette. You have the time to bet until the croupier calls “Rien ne va plus”.
Make your choice to bet on numbers, combinations of numbers or on one of the outside bets. You have to stick to the betting limits of the table where you play. The tables have minimum and maximum bets. You can bet freely between the minimum and maximum bet.
Which bets can you place at roulette?
The betting field consists of two parts: inside bets and outside bets. The inside bets are bets on one or more numbers. Besides betting on a number, you can also do an outside bet. We will explain both kind of bets.
There are five different ways to do an inside bet:
- Straight bet: you bet on one number. You do that by placing your chip (s) on this number. If this is the winning number, then you take your bet 35 times as a profit. You can play numbers on all 37 or 38 (if you play American Roulette). You can of course also use multiple straight bets per game. The odds per straight bet is 1 / 37th at European Roulette and 1 / 38th at American Roulette.
- Split bet: a split bet is a bet where you put your chip (s) on two numbers at once. You put the chip on the border between these two numbers. This means that you can only place a split bet on two numbers that border on the number field. Winning means that you take 17 times your betting profit of half the profit then if you bet on 1 number.
- Street bet: you put your chip (s) at the end of a row of three numbers. You win if one of these three numbers is the winning number. The winnings are 11 times your bet as a profit.
- Corner bet: you put your chip on the border of four different numbers. You win if one of these four numbers is the winning number. That gives you 8 times your bet as a profit.
- Line bet: you bet on six numbers at a time. You do that by placing your chip (s) at the end of two rows, exactly on the border of these two rows. Is one of the six numbers of these two rows the winning nummer, then you win 5 times your bet.
The odds of winning vary from up to 16.2% for a line bet to 2.7% for a straight bet. Payouts increase as the chance of winning is reduced. The house advantage of the casino on all of these bets is 2.7 percent. Other figures apply to American Roulette: lower odds and a higher house advantage for the casino.
First we discussed the inside bets, now we will discuss the outside bets.
You can not only bet on the number field, but also outside it. We call this the outside bets. There are five different outside bets. Three of them are bets with a probability of almost 50 percent.
- High or low: you bet on low or high. The low numbers are the numbers from 1 to 18. You win a bet on ‘low’ if one of these 18 numbers falls. That gives you your bet once as a profit.
- Odd or even (odd or even): you win an odd bet if an odd number falls. You win the same bet if there is an even number. The profit is once your bet.
- Red or black: you win a bet on red if one of the 18 red numbers falls. Are you betting on black, then you win if one of the 18 black numbers falls. The winnings are once your bet.
For all of these three outside bets the odds are 48.6% (at American Roulette they are a bit lower 47.4% to be exact). The house advantage of the casino is the zero. If the zero should fall, the player doesn’t win. The casino (house) has an advantage of 2,7% because of this. If it is a roulette with two zeros this increase to 5,26%. Sometimes you even find a roulette with three zeros. In that case the house has an advantage of 7,7%.
There are also two other outside bets possible:
- Column bet: a bet on one of the three columns. Each column consists of twelve numbers. You win if one of these twelve numbers falls. That gives you two times your bet.
- Boxes bet: a bet on 1 to 12, 13 to 24 or 25 to 36. You win if one of the twelve numbers falls why you placed your bets. That gives you two times your bet as a profit.
In this case you also lose if the zero should fall. The house advantage is also 2,7% up to 7,7% according to the number of zeros.
What is the payout percentage of roulette?
That depends on wich version of the roulette you play. For this we assume you play the European Roulette which has only one zero. In that case the payout percentage of roulette is 97,3%. The house advantage for the casino is 2,7%
Next to European Roulette, there is also American Roulette. The only difference between American Roulette and European Roulette is the extra zero. American Roulette is the same as European but with two zeros. This has a disadvantage for the player. Adding an extra zero means that the house advantage for to casino rises from 2,7% tot 5,26%. Therefor decreasing the payout percentage to 94,74%. Your chanches to win slightly decrease when playing American Roulette. So if you have the choice then its in your best interest to play European Roulette. However if you are in a land-based casino in Las Vegas, it will be hard to find a table with European Roulette.
As we mentioned before there are also roulette tables with 3 zeros. In this case the payout percentage drops even further to 92,3%. In that case the house advantage of the casino is 7,7%.
There is also a French Roulette version also called “Roulette La Partage”. French Roulette gives the best ods to the player. The difference with the European Roulette variant is that with the French Roulette you get half of your bet back when the 0 falls.
The most favorable variant of Roulette is La Partage. Roulette La Partage is also known as French Roulette. The difference with the European variant is that at La Partage you get half of your bet back when the 0 falls. So if you have a choice, choose for the French Roulette. If this is not available choose the European Roulette. Roulette La Partage is available at CasinoEuro.
What is the best roulette strategy to win?
You should keep in mind that there is no roulette strategy that guarantees profit. As with all casino games, roulette is a game of luck. If someone tells you different then he or she lies. It’s that simple. However some strategies can increase your chances of winning.
The Martingale system is a system that can increase your chanches of winning at roulette. To explain it in a short and simple way, every time you lose, you double your bet. You keep doubling your bet until you win. You always win at least once so you can take back your los with a little bit of profit. Of course you can’t continue this system indefinitely. After all there are betting limits and at sometime you will have gone trough your account balance.
Double Ball Roulette
There is also a special version of roulette namely the Double Ball Roulette. As the name tells you, this roulette is played with 2 balls. The advantage of this is that you can win your bet 1300 times when both balls end up on the chosen number. This version is offered by online casinos that use the gaming provider Evolution Gaming. At Kroon Casino you can find Double Ball Roulette.